Skip to main content

retired U.S. Navy officer was sentenced to more than three years in federal prison Monday for stealing $150,000 from the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund

retired U.S. Navy officer was sentenced to more than three years in federal prison Monday for stealing $150,000 from the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund by exaggerating injuries he said he sustained in the terrorist attack on the Pentagon.

The sentencing capped a three-year legal journey for Charles E. Coughlin that included three trials, the last of which ended in his conviction in August on charges of filing a false claim and theft of government property.

In sentencing the 52-year-old Severna Park resident to three years and five months in prison, Chief U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth called the crime a “serious offense” and ordered the former Navy commander to pay restitution of $151,034 to the federal government.

“You have damaged your life and career,” the judge told Coughlin.

Coughlin, a U.S. Naval Academy graduate, said little during the hearing but told Lamberth that he took “responsibility for the errors and mistakes he made.”

During sentencing and in court papers, Assistant U.S. Attorney Susan Menzer called the scam deplorable and urged Lamberth to sentence Coughlin to the upper end of a guideline range of 33 to 41 months.

Though living on a government pension and a “substantial salary” as a government contractor, Coughlin nevertheless “took advantage of the country’s generosity” and stole money he didn’t need, Menzer wrote.

“He had it all,” Menzer wrote, “but he wanted more.”

In December 2003, Coughlin filed a false claim with the compensation fund for a neck injury he said he sustained when the Pentagon was hit by a hijacked jetliner on Sept. 11, 2001. He said he had been injured by falling debris and then smacked his head upon re-entering the building to rescue others.

He received $60,000 from the fund, but rejected the award. He and his wife, Sabrina, filed documents claiming his injuries cost him time at work and paying others for household chores he could no longer perform, federal prosecutors said.

After a hearing, he received $330,000 from the fund for economic and non-economic damages he had suffered. (The trial focused only the award for $151,000 in economic damages.) Prosecutors alleged that Coughlin received the money fraudulently because he greatly exaggerated or “flatly lied” about the injuries he may have sustained in the attacks.

They noted that just two months after the attacks, Coughlin ran the New York City Marathon in three hours and 43 minutes. Coughlin, who left the Navy in 2002, also continued to play lacrosse and basketball.

In October 2008, Coughlin and his wife, Sabrina, were indicted on charges of mail fraud, filing a false claim and theft of government property. Six months later, a jury acquitted Coughlin on three counts of mail fraud but deadlocked on four other charges.

It also hung on charges related to his wife. Prosecutors later dropped charges against Sabrina Coughlin but retried her husband in June 2009. That trial was cut short when Coughlin’s defense made an emergency appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, which threw out two counts of mail fraud.

The third trial on the remaining two charges of filing a false claim and theft of government property concluded in August.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ebola outbreak vastly underestimated

The death toll from the world's worst outbreak of Ebola stood on Wednesday at 1,069 from 1,975 confirmed, probable and suspected cases, the agency said. The majority were in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, while four people have died in Nigeria. The agency's apparent acknowledgement the situation is worse than previously thought could spur governments and aid organisations to take stronger measures against the virus. "Staff at the outbreak sites see evidence that the numbers of reported cases and deaths vastly underestimate the magnitude of the outbreak," the organisation said. "WHO is coordinating a massive scaling up of the international response, marshalling support from individual countries, disease control agencies, agencies within the United Nations system, and others." International agencies are looking into emergency food drops and truck convoys to reach hungry people in Liberia and Sierra Leone cordoned off from the outside world to halt the sprea...

Sex on Las Yucas Beach gets a council no

  RESIDENTS living near Las Yucas Beach in Benalmadena Costa are hopeful that they can now use the beach without fear of bumping into people engaging in sexual acts. Benalmadena Council has installed cameras and signs by the entry point to Las Yucas, prohibiting nudism and sexual activity on the beach. People caught breaking the rules face fines of up to €3,000, according to Benalmadena Councillor for Safety, Manuel Arroyo. “Local Police officers have been told to act immediately.” For years this beach had become a popular meeting place for people engaging in ‘dogging’, sexual acts in public places – or watching others doing so. Websites exist promote dogging locations, and people travel from all over the Costa del Sol to these places, one of which was Las Yucas. The properties above this beach are luxury apartments and people living there say they have not been able to enjoy the beach due to these sex romps. “It started about 10-years ago, ...

Time to ditch the blood-sucking social media gurus - Telegraph

Time to ditch the blood-sucking social media gurus - Telegraph: "On the outskirts of a regional city in Britain - Bristol, perhaps - two hundred people gather to discuss 'radical engagement strategies'. They are oddballs: a mixture of chippy girls with unruly fringes and sweaty, overweight blokes with bits of burger stuck in their beards. They fire cheap jibes at the Microsoft event they're sharing a building with, and from which they've nicked a few chairs - a fact they crow about on Twitter as if it were some sort of victory over the 'evil' corporation. These are the social media gurus, a rag-tag crew of blood-sucking hucksters who are infesting companies of all sizes, on both sides of the Atlantic, blagging their way into consultancy roles and siphoning off valuable recession-era marketing spend to feed their comic book addictions. They claim to be able to improve your relationships with your customers by 'executing 360 degree reignition programs...